Thursday 10 October 2013

FILM: Blue Valentine (7/10)

Why did I watch it?
Blue Valentine has been on my radar for a while after seeing lots of positive reviews for the film. I enjoyed the style of director Derek Cianfrance's next effort The Place Beyond the Pines and as luck would have it Blue Valentine appeared on TV shortly afterwards.

What's it all about?
Blue Valentine tells the story of Dean (Ryan Gosling) and Cindy (Michelle Williams) and is told across two spells in their relationship, the initial courtship with the pair full of passion for each other and the present day several years later as their marriage finally falls apart.

Should you watch it?
I watched this a long time ago so I'm going to keep this review short and sharp. 

Not a film for Valentine's Day
There's no denying that watching Blue Valentine, a film that tells the story of the complete breakdown of a couple's marriage is not an easy watch (especially for someone just married!) and is certainly an intense, claustrophobic experience, as the audience never really gets a break from the two characters but honestly I was slightly disappointed that the film didn't turn out to be quite the emotional heart-breaker I was expecting. Perhaps in anticipation I had turned my heart to it's complete stone setting. That's not to take anything away from the film's leads who gave brilliantly sincere and convincing performances as the troubled couple. Special comment for the 'Future Room' which with it's tacky futuristic decor and lighting must have been director Derek Cianfrance's ideal shooting location!

No comments:

Post a Comment