The Mrs loved it and thought I needed to see it so I decided to give it a go.
What's it all about?
Les Miserables tells the story of one Jean Valjean (Hugh Jackman), a paroled convict, over several decades in 19th century France. Valjean becomes guardian of factory worker Fantine's (Anne Hathaway) daughter Cosette and ends up taking part in a Parisian revolutionary uprising, all the while being hunted by Inspector Javert (Russell Crowe).
- Intensity from live singing has to be credited .
- Grand production - nice visuals of France/Paris.
- Hugh Jackman's dedication to the role. The man gives everything.
- Appearance of Sascha Baron Cohen brings a bit of humour.
- Epic story.
- Seriously, how many words rhyme with Cosette?
- The shock of no dialogue whatsoever took some getting over.
- Yeah Russell Crowe's singing isn't great but at least he tried.
'La la la la, ' - Everyone
Jean Valjean and Javert facing off time and time again.
Like singing? Watch: Mamma Mia, Evita etc.
Like the director? Watch: The King's Speech
What my wife would say: I love musicals.
What the world thinks:
Rotten Tomatoes - 70%
Metacritic - 63/100
LAMB Score - 3.73/5